Why deep breathing exercises?
Did you know the average adult man/woman only uses 2/3 of their lung capacity?
This is because it's a relaxed, unconscious way of breathing. Breathing with our chests only. Not thinking about our diaphragm or expanding our rib cage to allow more space for oxygen to flow into. We simply have become lazy with our breathing on a regular basis.
Leaving 1/3 of their lungs filled with stall air. Imagine this outside of our body. Imagine you only washed 2/3 of your body in the shower. Day in and day out, only 2/3 - What would happen to the other 1/3? It would become dirty, sticky, unattractive.
How do you think that 1/3 of stall air does nothing for our body except consume space. It no longer delivers oxygen to the blood. It no longer gives you a boost of energy. It has already done it's purpose and now it's hanging out.
Tis the season to look at stress management. Tis the season to calm our nerves and realign ourselves to our spirit and energy as we are surrounded by numerous energies and a wave of emotions.
Deep breathing exercises have been proven to:
- Improve respiratory function, increases incoming oxygen and outgoing carbon dioxide
- Triggers neurons in your brain to tell yourself to calm down and put you in a more relaxed state
- Reduces tension, physically, mentally and spiritually.
- Helps you gain a new perspective
Deep breathing exercises can be done anywhere and everywhere. Don't require a whole lot of time. There are numerous techniques on deep breathing. Here is one, called 4-7-8 that you can start today
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight
And if you're not one for numbers, here is an even simpler one, Belly Breathing
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, and let your belly push your hand out. ...
- Breathe out through pursed lips as if you were whistling. ...
- Do this breathing 3 to 10 times.
More information through BC health link here
Throughout the holiday season, my goal is to ENJOY IT.
Enjoy the company I'm surrounded with, enjoy my children's excitement and enjoy myself playing like a child. I know that the holidays can bring out the best and worse out of everyone and I ask that you try these exercises out and allow yourself to bring in fresh oxygen to your body and mind and see the benefits of it. Have a more peaceful holiday season with these exercises. I know I will be using them!
Join my (free)Women's Fitness community, where I host challenges, motivate and empower women to feel ALIVE and share some wicked workouts and recipes!